Today marked a significant day in the life of my family. My grandmother passed away last Thursday aged 87 from pneumonia. Everybody at home was naturally upset, especially as it was near Christmas. Things had never looked good for her ailing body, as she struggled to expel the phlegm from her ageing lungs. She was even struggling to breathe for survival. In a way, we all got to see her for the last time alive on Wednesday night. I awoke to the news that she has passed away the next day.
I personally got to see her body at her deathbed in hospital, she left this world with a tired expression, yet her face had this radiant glow. Maybe it’s because she has finally been relieved of the pain that she has been going through for days to be with the Lord above. The proceedings then took place, to fix the death certificate, to secure bereavement services, to inform our relatives in Mainland China, to inform our Church pastor, to book the multi-purpose hall for which the wake is to be held, all these in the space of a few hours. But all these matters were largely made easier with the pastor’s help and contacts.
The wake was to be held near my granny’s old residence for 5 days, it could have been for 3 days if the 3rd day had not been Christmas itself. During these days, friends of my dad, mum, sister, brother... not to mention Marcus and Shizhen turned up… very much appreciated the gesture.
But yea… today was the cremation day of my grandmother’s remains… The closure of the lid on her casket… I saw for the first time my dad’s tears. I suppose that is the power of motherly love, and filial piety… my dad’s close to 60 in age but he still wept when the lid was closed and the moment when the casket was about to be cremated. My sister and brother broke down too, having spent a large amount of their childhood in her care. I, too wept silently as I tried to comfort my dad, while my mum and brother-in-law comforted my brother and sister respectively. For this once, feuds within the family was put aside momentarily… And I suppose that when a person passes on in life, all debts and grievances are forgotten… I may have been harsh with my words in the previous entries but from now on, I think it’s time to let go from now… and I should also learn a lesson or tow from this experience on filial piety from my dad.
I want to say thanks to all whom have offered their condolences during this period of time.
“Jesus said: I am the Resurrection and the Life, he who believes in me will live, even when he dies” (John 11:25)
I wish my grandmother everlasting peace in Heaven with the Lord…
- Phil -
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home