Nothing stops the rain...

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Singapore = Asian Monaco?>

Singapore appears to wanna build its image as the "Monaco of the East" huh?

Monaco has the Monte Carlo casinos, we have our IRs. Monaco has beautiful beachfront property, we're coming right along with Sentosa Cove. Now F1 comes to Singapore to rival the only other F1 Street GP in the world in Monaco again.

Big money, a totally different sporting experience. Looks like a dream come true huh?

Although from the economic side, this appears to be a boon as more big money and exposure comes to Singapore. Big time racers like Alonso, Hamilton, Raikkonen comes into the races the normal route, the ultra rich and famous socialites will come too, generating media glitz. Fans of the F1 races will come by too to sit and watch.

This event doesn't necessarily generate tourists, in fact some European tourists will shun Singapore during this period. Nobody likes to work, shop, hold hands and kiss their partners by the Esplanade when the entire area sounds as though it's like the airport runway. The sound of the F1 cars running at top speed will sound very much like a typical fighter jet taking off (I am sure you heard those sounds over the skies during NDP right? and I mean from the skies...) Now try listening to those sounds more up close and personal for an entire week (It's not just 1 race, surely there'll be practice laps and qualifying laps). Add the heat generated by those engines that'll probably warm up the already warm Singapore. You got a perfect turn-off for tourists. Doesn't sound really right for Singapore who is very keen on tourism huh?

My friend/colleague who lives in Monaco told me that the Monaco citizens actually leave Monaco during the F1 races. I mean, how can somebody is on a relaxation tour bear with these nonsense? Perhaps Singapore officials really should make a trip to Monaco themselves and get a taste of how life will be like there during the Monaco F1 Grand Prix.

Fortunately, I don't work in the Marina area, or I may wanna get away for that week. In fact, maybe it's time I plan a short getaway during that week. I don't think I wanna hear those insane noise; I think I heard enough for my ICT (I'm was at an air base where jet fighters take off and land daily, the noise won't be far off)

What next up now for Singapore? Singapore going into monarchy again Monaco style? Or abolish taxes like Monaco? Well, Singapore appears to be like a monarchy anyway, minus the Princes and Princesses (I stress the word "appear", we know we are a meritocratic society) , but I'll surely love the latter which is the abolishment of taxes, and that means to hell with the 7% GST and our Income Tax and blah blah blah....

Even if they do that, Singapore is never gonna become a place for the "rich and famous" the way Monaco does.

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.comGet awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com